Friday, June 20, 2014

Life at Dollardstown B&B

I live on the third floor in my own room.  It's a very large room so space is not an issue. But there's no bathroom up there.  On the second floor there are 3 lovely B&B rooms each with their own bathroom.  Also there are 2 additional rooms with a shared bath.  When we don't have a full house, I can use the shared bath (toilet and sink only).  We are not allowed to use the tub/shower.  It's only for guests.  So on the first floor is a bathroom with a shower and it is used by 6 of us.  It also has the washer and dryer in it. They are almost in constant use.  The dryer is only used for the guest towels.  Everything else is line dried.

We all seem to have jobs that we agreed we like to do.  Gianni because he's the only guy workawayer helps Andrew with the lawn and splitting wood.  Kerry cleans.  She is better at cleaning the rooms/bathrooms probably better than anyone I will ever meet.  But she will not do any gardening (weeding) or lawn mowing.  Basically nothing outside.  She doesn't cook either.  And she won't eat anything green.  No vegetables except carrots.  Maureen is gone now but when she was here didn't like to do the rooms.  She would cook (rarely), clean the kitchen and do gardening including splitting wood with Gianni.
I do everything.  During the past 2 days I've been mowing and mowing and mowing.  After I mowed myself to exhaustion, I take a shower, change clothes and bake scones for the new arrivals that day.  Then I start cooking dinner for all of us.  If I'm the one cooking dinner I get to say what time we eat.  It is usually around 7.  If Antoinette cooks, it'll be much later even though we all agree that we like eating early a lot better.  The past few  nights because the weather has been perfect, we take our plates outside to eat.  Andrew even barbecued meat on the grill.

Tonight a new 21 yr. old is coming.  Her name is Marissa.  She's flying in from the Czech Republic but she's from the U.S. and has been going to school in Sweden.  More on her later.

Occasionally, Andrew will work away from home, like today.  He is self employed as a landscaper.  Right now he's doing a job in Dublin so will be picking up Marissa at the Dublin airport. Kerry is away for 2 days taking a test in Cork for her upcoming Masters' degree program in Belgium which she'll start in Sept.

No comments:

Post a Comment