Sunday, June 15, 2014

Back to Dollardstown----Athy Ireland

Returning to Ireland

Before going to France, I had spent 3 days at Dollardstown B&B in Athy Ireland with my hosts Antoinette and Andrew.  So when it was time to leave France and return  to my next assignment, I at least knew there would be no surprises.
 Monday night before leaving France I received an email from the train company SNCF stating that all trains would NOT be operating for the entire day on Wednesday, the day I had tickets to travel.  I knew I had to somehow get to LaRochelle for my flight on Ryan Air by 3:00p.m. on Wed.  Without a computer these changes would have been impossible. Todd agreed to take me to Limoges that day (Tuesday) so I could get a train to LaRochelle and have to spend the night in LaRochelle so I could make my flight to Dublin the following day.  It is very strange that 4 out of 4 times I used the train system in France, I had 4 delays or in this case a full blown cancellation due to a train strike which according to locals happens frequently and only for 1 day.
So I said my goodbyes to Susie and Todd and Pongo at the train station in Limoges and headed to LaRochelle the coastal town that I took a real liking to on my way through when arriving in France 3 1/2 weeks earlier.
Since my plane didn't leave until 4 the next day, I had all day in LaRochelle.  It happened to be market day and even though I could not get any of the wonderful produce I saw for sale, it was a pleasure just walking through the market with all the fresh seafood, cheeses, breads, veggies, fruit and clothing.The flight left as scheduled at 4 p.m. with a full flight of mostly high schoolers returning to Dublin after a weeks long holiday in France.
Andrew met me at Dublin airport and after picking up Antoinette from work at 6, we all arrived back home in Dollardstown.  It was especially good to come back to a familiar home complete with 4 lovable dogs and 2 affectionate cats.  I would also be meeting for the first time, Maureen from St. Louis and Gianni from Italy who were also workawayers.  Kerry from Italy who was there during my last visit still remained.  So for the next week we had 4 workawayers to take care of a full house that weekend with a 50th birthday party/dinner.  Then the night before everyone checked in...I got sick.  I spent all day Saturday in bed with a head cold like I haven't had in a very long time.  Needless to say I felt very bad as to not be able to help with the party or the following cleanup.  But Antoinette being the gracious person she is, made me feel not so bad.
Maureen would be leaving the following Thursday for Iceland.  Gianni would be leaving on Wed. to go back home in Italy but would be returning to Dollardstown in Sept. to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment